Monday, November 14, 2011

The Nightmare Before Christmas

It's official.  I had my first pre-Christmas nightmare.  It was late Christmas Eve and I realized that, not only had I not wrapped even one of my kid's Christmas presents, I had forgotten to buy them.  I remember standing in the living room with my husband at about midnight and discussing whether or not we could hold Christmas off for one more day without the kids figuring it out.  I distinctly recall glancing at the clock and thinking that I could just pull an all-nighter and pull something together.


So, okay, I may be playing it fast and loose with the word "nightmare".  But for someone with my personality (and by "personality" I mean "OCD"), that's darn near terrifying.  I think it's safe to say that my sub-conscious is trying to tell me I'm not as prepared as I would like to be.


Today it is time to bear down and make sure I'm on track with all my planning and preparations.  In other words, I'm making a list and checking it twice. :-)  Truthfully, I'm checking my lists and making a new list, but that doesn't sound quite as poetic.


I hope you are not experiencing that kind of anxiety.  But, if you are starting to feel the pressure of the holidays looming, take a few moments to evaluate where you are in your preparations and focus on the things that are of utmost importance to you.  Shorten your list.  The key isn't to finish everything on it, but to be able to do the things that matter most to you.  Prioritize and take one thing at a time.  Remember:
"Action is the foundational key to all success." -Pablo Picasso

No comments:

Post a Comment