Saturday, August 31, 2013

Go!

It's that time of year and we are hitting the pavement running!  I have to admit, I started my planning yesterday with my mom and boy was it fun. It was a welcome break from the monotony of blazing summer heat.  I'm eternally grateful for things like Pandora that will pipe Christmas music, be it ever so slightly, through my home while we plan and my Christmas candles that I can light and set on the table next to us.  The sounds and smells of Christmas help me to get into planning mode and make the triple digit temperatures outside seem not quite so unbearable.

Hopefully you were able to get a binder for yourself or dig up a notebook.  Either way is fine. It's really just a matter of personal preference and what will make it easier for you.  If you haven't already, divide your notebook into the following sections-

Calendar (unless you prefer to use your wall calendar or Outlook)
Food
Gifts
To Do Lists

These are the three most basic sections and encompass most of your planning needs.  If you have extra sections, you might consider the following:

Christmas Cards
Housekeeping
Budget

The sections should be pretty self-explanatory with the exception of "Housekeeping".  I use this section to keep track of wardrobe needs, any linens I might need to purchase or replace, and/or any repairs or items I need to purchase specifically for the holidays (i.e. wreath hangers, outdoor lights, etc)

If you have all of those sections designated, you are ready to go!  Here is your to do list for the week.

Week of August 31st- September 6th

Make the following lists:
  • Gifts to give/recipients
  • Christmas Card list
  • Visits/Trips
  • Parties/Entertaining
  • Menus- Include, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years and any other events you may celebrate in between
  • Goodies for sharing/gifts
  • Favorite meals to freeze
  • Long term shopping list- start this list according to what you plan for each of your holiday meals.  It helps to have a separate list for each holiday and one for your freezer meals.
This is your brainstorming week and your chance to make a road map for the next few months.  So, light that candle, play some Christmas tunes, and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I am having so much fun making my lists. I pinned a lot of goodies to my Christmas board and I'll be looking for freezer meals and gift ideas too. Thanks for getting me organized!

    ReplyDelete